Hot water heater replacement
August 2nd to 8th

Click image for enlargement.
Notice the disconnected water lines above the tank. On the evening of August 2nd we discovered that the hot water wasn't "hot." Investigation found that a leak had turned off the pilot light, but had NOT caused a flood! The small puddle hadn't yet reached the moisture detector - the blue thing on the wall to the right.

Notice also that the vent pipe goes out through the wall just above the tank.

(05:08:2018)

Here's the vent on the outside - behind our raised strawberry bed! This does NOT meet current codes so we couldn't just swap a new tank for old on the 3rd (the Friday before a long weekend.)

(05:08:2018)
The vent removed - looking out from the inside!

(05:08:2018)

A plug for the hole.

(05:08:2018)
Looking in from the outside. This is going to be "fun" to fix.

(05:08:2018)

Allan has removed the old tank. It has so much sediment in the bottom that it weighed more than double its original weight.

(05:08:2018)
But he managed to wrestle it outside on the wheeler. Here it is with the pieces of the vent.

(05:08:2018)
The outside patch attached - looking from the inside. The gaps will fill with expanding glue.

(05:08:2018)
The inside of the vent hole has been filled with gyproc and mudding has started.

(06:08:2018)
8:40 AM - Ceiling tiles removed all the way from where the gas line enters - at the far corner of the weaving studio - to the middle of the house so that the whole thing can be inspected by the installer.

(08:08:2018)
There is an interesting junction where the main gas line branches one way to the kitchen and barbecue and the other way to the hot water tank.

(08:08:2018)
The installer arrived at about 9:45 AM. The unit was hung on the wall by 10:15 AM.

Here we are at 3:25 PM - gas and water hooked up - it still needs to have a flue pipe and the unit tested.

(08:08:2018)
4:15 PM - A look at the insides of that box!

(08:08:2018)
Testing the gas flow - and we are almost done.

(08:08:2018)
The new vent on the outside of the house. Notice how far it is above the old one - hidden in the strawberries.

(08:08:2018)
All done and the first coat of paint on the walls around it. That hot shower felt really good!

(09:08:2018)
Not quite the start of ceiling repair, before there was no ceiling over the water heater. At this point the t-bar has been patched in with the hoarded leftovers from the basement reno's of 5 years ago.

(11:08:2018)
Patched! After fitting around the plumbing and vent. Now to clean the camera lens!

(11:08:2018)
Well I didn't remember to picture before changes started, but the gray area (with the Rona label) was under the water heater when the floor went down.

(12:08:2018)
It's not as though we had the matching floor to put down (what we have is maple, and the original floor is light oak that was likely purchased at Home Hardware on clearance sale years before we got here.) But we had to patch in the floor where we converted a storage room into the weaving studio when we reno'd the basement right after we purchased and had leftovers from that.

(12:08:2018)
We repaint the brown wall to a light (think very light) gray shade.

(13:08:2018)
Then we repaint the light gray to a slightly grayer shade of gray. Thats two of the fifty shades done.

(14:08:2018)
Prep the new baseboards with a couple of coats of varnish.

(16:08:2018)
Ok so five years ago when we moved in and made a weaving studio some white haired dummy said

"Why don't we put bull nose corners any place we rebuild an outside corner!"

Not thinking about what happened when you get to the baseboard. This 'should' be the first (of 6) to be done in the weaving studio. It is an easy corner to work on so it will get done first. Currently glue drying on the work bench - and you know that every one of these corners that are going on are a perfect 90 degrees!


(20:08:2018)
Installed! DAP is my new best friend. More painting next!

(21:08:2018)
Baseboards, castings installed, Painting done is that all?

(29:08:2018)
Well no that is not all. Still have to fix the hole in the siding left by the old vent. The old siding is pulled away showing the tar paper. This could have been a big problem, but for the fact some previous owner of the house left a couple of lengths of used siding in the rafters of the shed.

(22:09:2018)
One length will replace the two short pieces with about 2 inches left over.

(22:09:2018)
Finished! The new/used siding is not as weathered looking, but being as this is the south side of the house that will not last very long. One saving grace to this job was the removal of the stand-up strawberry bed. Working over top of that would not have been fun at all.

(22:09:2018)
Click the Home button below to return to the main button menu.